In first grade, the students are busy developing their number sense, basic operations, and algebraic thinking. Key concepts and skills for first grade mathematicians include:
- decomposing numbers (for example, 10 can be 5+5, 3+7, 1+9, etc.)
- interpreting story problems and writing equations to represent them
- solving addition and subtraction problems
- clearly communicating their strategies and mathematical thinking orally and in writing
- counting accurately by 1s, 2s, 5s, and 10s
how you can help your child in math at home
- Play the math games that are sent home. These develop students' number sense and fluency with their math facts in a fun and positive way.
- Do puzzles together; these support spatial awareness and problem solving.
- Play games together.
- Practice collecting and counting coins.
- Ask math-related questions that come up in every day life. For example, "We started with 10 cookies, but now we only have 4. How many did we eat?"